Remember my Bucket List?
Isn't it funny how something you long to do for so long can become something you never want to do again so fast?
On Saturday morning, a handful of my extended family set out to hike Chief Mountain. It was almost a year ago that these plans were foiled by some recalcitrant fog...
However, Saturday was bright and sunny and away we went. Not even this fresh pile of bear skat that was as big as my foot could deter us.
I hiked Chief 27 years ago and for some reason it was harder this time around. I think the mountain got steeper, the shale got deeper and longer and the hike from the car seemed much much further. When I was sitting on top, trying to figure out exactly how much a helicopter would cost to come and lift me off the top so I wouldn't have to climb down, I decided I didn't care if I never climbed it again. Instead of the elation I expected to feel for having climbed the mountain, I felt small and weak. It was weird and a little depressing. Now, three days later, (when I can actually lift my legs without pain... lol), I am feeling more ambivalent toward Chief and may even consider hiking it in August with my kids. It's kindof like how you forget labour pain and go on to have more than one child, heh heh. Enjoy the pics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














5 comments:
What an accomplishment, and what gorgeous scenery!
I have never hiked it.....next time I come up I will put it on my todo list!
You are way more brave than me. The pics are great, looks beautiful up there.
Wow...what a view!
it is a good hike huh...we did it two years ago. Phew....my kids loved it though!
Congrats on making it to the top!!!
Post a Comment